What determines reliability?
Isn’t it pure Coincidence…?
Unexpected, accidental, unforeseen, surprising, unique events hamper your effectiveness.
You only know for sure: the next incident is already lurking.
Losses from reliability incidents show in many forms
Is it possible to say what determines reliability when there are so many things that destroy process reliability?
- Interruptions or functional hindrances to your processes, e.g. as a result of
- damage to a component (“breakdowns“)
- a non-standard action by the operator (“Operating errors“)
- non-standard properties of primary products and auxiliary materials introduced into the process
- non-standard properties of the processed product (“process error“)
- lack of personnel, material, equipment, work order
- exceeding the planned time for setting up and rebuilding the equipment.
- death, permanent disability of patients as a result of medical “malpractice”, errors in treatment, care and maintenance of patients
- unacceptable damage to equipment
- quality defects of your products, customer complaints
- work suffering for employees
- damage to the company’s reputation
- damage to the environment
- either “chronically”, i.e. repeatedly at the same spot with same symptoms
- or “sporadically”, i.e. irregularly at different spots (“incidents”)
How Incidents develop:
Incidents, breakdowns, accidents, defects develop;
- as chain reactions of subsequent deficiencies and faults
- nearly always with several different chains of reactions
- of which some work simultaneously in the very moment of the incident
- and at least one as a human fault
Incidents are caused by Basic Risk Factors
- increasing the risks of deficiencies and faults, which again provoke other incidents
- existing permanently
- in the entire organization
- having been produced by faulty (or missing) Management decisions, that again can only be corrected by Management
The Risk Profile of your organization
Making a risk profile reveals:
- how many Loss Events occur in your organization Chronically and Sporadically
- which Basic Risk Factors dominate in your organization
- how you can eliminate them and thus achieve Zero Errors and Faults